Sweetwater ISD conducts a program for students with above average potential in academic,creative, and productive thinking skills areas in grades K-12. This gifted education program is designed to challenge students to accelerate above and beyond the regular school curriculum. In Sweetwater ISD we call our gifted program SEEK, Sweetwater's Educational Enrichment of Knowledge.
Anyone wishing to nominate a student believed to be an intellectually or creatively gifted learner is encouraged to come by the appropriate campus office and complete the necessary forms. Those students nominated will go through a screening procedure that requires special testing. At the time of nomination, parents will be requested to grant permission for this testing.
Anyone can nominate a student for the SEEK/GT program; parents, teachers, principals, community members, etc.
You can acquire a nomination form at any of the campuses or you may use the link below to print one.
For more information contact:
Melinda McCarty, Asst. Superintendent
Characteristics of a gifted child:
. Have high level of curiosity / ask many questions
· Learn quickly (1-2 repetitions for mastery)
· Think abstractly and draw inferences
· Are keenly observant
· Create and see new designs and patterns
· Discuss in detail; elaborate
· Have sense of humor
· Show strong feelings and opinions
· Prefer adults or older friends
· Make connections and see relationships
· Initiate projects and enjoy learning
· Thrive on complexity and have extensive memory
· Are often self-critical